Thursday, December 30, 2010
Today's Special - - Beverley Kendall
Readers can visit Beverley on her website: http://www.BeverleyKendall.com , follow her on Twitter: http://twitter.com/beverleykendall , friend her on Facebook: http://facebook.com/authorbeverleykendall or drop by The Season Blog where you’re sure to find her.
Is A TASTE OF DESIRE really for you?
by Beverley Kendall
I’m going to be totally honest with you today, I write not only because the compulsion is so strong as to be overwhelming, but also because I would one day like to make a comfortable living doing so. I think it’s fair to say that’s every published and aspiring authors wish.
The kind of stories that I write will play a major part in how I’m received, by you, the romance reading public. If you decided to pick up either of my books, SINFUL SURRENDER and A TASTE OF DESIRE, to read the back cover blurb and were then intrigued enough to purchase, I certainly wouldn’t want reading either or both to be a dismal or disappointing experience. I'd actually rather you didn’t buy the book at all.
That’s why I decided to write this cautionary post to readers who may be—dare I hope—contemplating buying my upcoming release, A TASTE OF DESIRE.
A TASTE OF DESIRE may not be for you if:
• You don’t like lots of sexual tension. I think I can safely say the sexual tension between Amelia and Thomas could be cut with a knife. But when you have jealousy on one side and pride on the other side, you know they’ll both be fighting it all the way.
• You don’t like ‘steamy’ love scenes. I’ll be honest here, this is a hot read. Since I’m a huge Lisa Kleypas fan, I tend to write to her heat level.
• You want your hero and heroine to ‘get along’ relatively well throughout the book. Amelia and Thomas are definitely not that kind of heroine and hero. Amelia, right or wrong, resents Thomas because of the close relationship he has with her father—one she wishes she had. Thomas dislikes Amelia, mostly because she doesn’t like him and has insulted him on more than one occasion—one a rather public set down.
• You love intrigue and lots of suspense in your romance novels. I don’t have a spy and there are no murder plots or kidnappings in this novel. This is strictly a romance novel with lots of heat, angst and conflict.
• You love heroes or/and heroines who are physically and/or emotionally crippled because of a tragic past. My hero and heroine have not been physically or emotionally abused.
• You don’t like an alpha hero. My hero, Thomas, is definitely alpha, which to me means he’s confident, and yes can be a bit cocky when properly provoked. He’s witty in that dry British way but don’t you dare try to come between him and the woman he loves or else there will be hell to pay.
• You don’t like a heroine with a sharp edge. Initially, Amelia isn’t the warmest of females. But it's how she copes from years of pain and hurt. This isn’t the Taming of the Shrew but rather the Thawing of Amelia.
• And finally, if you don’t like Happily Ever Afters, I fear that reading this book may cause irrevocable damage to your heart.
If I didn’t lose you after reading my list, comment and you’ll be entered to win A TASTE OF DESIRE and my debut, SINFUL SURRENDER.
I want to thank the ladies of The Romance Dish for having me back this year! As always, I had a grand time visiting with you.